Saturday, October 29, 2011

Play Like a Champion

I just couldn't pretend anymore.
I couldn't lie to myself.
I couldn't deny the truth.

I never sought the biggest trophy.
I just wanted to enjoy what could be.
Friends and lovers.

Too many players.
Constant chaos.
Lies and betrayals.

The game became cruel.
The basic rules long forgotten and broken.
Carelessness and pain ruled the field.

I played through my position.
Now I am no longer needed.
Or wanted.

My inevitable loss apparent long ago.
I played as best I could to the end.
Hoping I would be wrong.

My version of "play like a champion."
I kept to the rules I had embraced despite their fouls.
I kept my honor, my loyalty, my honesty, and my integrity.

It wasn't enough to turn the tide.
It wasn't enough to fight the battle.
But I am at peace with myself.

I nod my head.
To the others who can claim victory.
Their win sure to be celebrated.

So I surrend the field.
With my head high.
And retreat home to nurse my wounds.

The next match is already underway.
I'll neither participate.
Nor be a spectator.

Because I never wanted to be a part of any game in the first place.
I deserve more than to be just another play on the field.
~K.

2 comments: